English Language Arts
Visual & Performing Arts
Properties and behaviors of waves
Technology and Engineering
Develop inquiry plan
Devices and design to solve problems (8)
Meaning and Context-Actively participate in discussions
Meaning and Context-Consider viewpoints of others
Meaning and Context-Prepare for and engage in conversations
Mechanical and light waves
Technological advancements and designs meet human needs
- ETV video: https://www.knowitall.org/interactive/audio-engineer- kids-work Audio Engineer | Kids Work! (n.d.). Retrieved February 01, 2017, from https://www.knowitall.org/interactive/audio-engineer- kids-work
- 1:1 (laptop, Chromebook, tablet, desk top) or one teacher computer and interactive whiteboard
- Engage: 2-3 adults, preferably of different ages; students in the class & amp; website: http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/ can-you- hear-this- hearing-test/
- Hearing Test – Can You Hear This? (n.d.). Retrieved February 012, 2017, from
- http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you- hear-this- hearing-test/
- Lab 1: a plain music box
- Metal tray such as a white board tray or a white board secured to a wall,
- Lab 2: 2 tuning forks, 2 plastic cups with water
- Lab 3: 5 Cheap glasses (12 oz) real glass, a bucket of water or watering pot with water, metal spoon
- Lab 4: tuning fork and a ping pong ball with string (about 18 inches) to it.
- 1:1 device for each member of the group (laptop, PC, ipad, Chromebook, tablet)
- Lab 5: Violin (Sound, Sound Waves, Standing Waves)
- Wave Traits | NASA Online | Knowitall.org.
Riding the Waves of Sound
This lesson focuses on investigating sound, both volume and pitch by engaging students through investigation activities. Along with these activities, direct instruction, and 1:1 activities are included. Modifications are offered for classes without 1:1. Students should have a background about waves prior to starting this lesson. They should already know: what a mechanical wave is, amplitude, frequency, and wave height.
What are ways we can control sound waves?